Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Farm

We went to the farm and had a good look around. It needs some cleanup, but it will be a nice space when we get it ready. The orchard has gotten huge and overgrown, but with some serious pruning, it will make a nice shady spot to sit and drink beer.

Yesterday I transplanted all the tomatoes, mostly to 4-inch pots but some of the smaller ones got put back in paper pots, but one to a pot. The tomatoes and tomatillos are now in the cold frame, which is plenty large for anything I'll be doing. I need to transplant more of the peppers to one to a pot.

I still need to get the onions and garlics in the ground. My supplies came from Gardeners Supply and I really like the recycled tire mats. Plus Rick is having fun with the fake bamboo tinker toys. And of course, the cold frame is already in use.

We harvested peas and chard from the garden, along with lots of fresh oregano and thyme, and mustard greens from Rick C's garden. I sauteed that all up, poured scrambled eggs over it, topped it with cheese, and put it under the broiler. Absolutely delicious.

The lettuce I put in the ground is getting much bigger. I expect to see it forming heads soon.

No comments: