Friday, December 19, 2008

Lettuce Table


I built this lettuce bed out of nice redwood. It has 1x4s for sides, including handy beer rest shelves, and 4x4 legs. The bottom is made of hardware cloth covered in layers of burlap. Then I filled the whole thing with sterile potting mix.

The planting area is about 2 by 3 feet. I divided it into 6 zones, using white gravel pebbles. Then I planted each square with a different green on 10-27-08. Going from the top left corner, they are:
1. Arugula, organic. Park 5891.
2. Master chef blend lettuces. Royal Oak Leaf, Simpson Elite, Green Ice, Buttercrunch, Red Sails, 20% each. Park 5184.
3. Green Towers lettuce. Romaine type, 60 day. Park 5182.
4. Salad bowl mix lettuces, organic. 50 day. Park 5842.
5. Loose Leaf, Green Ice. Park 5158.
6. Broccoli Rabe, from Karen.

This is what it looks like on 12-19-08. I have good sprouting
but not a lot of growth yet. I expect it to take off in the spring.









No comments: